President Reuven Rivlin held a working meeting at the President's Residence with Quartet Middle East Representative Tony Blair.
At the start of the meeting, President Rivlin stated: “Israel sees you as a friend with whom we see eye to eye on the problems and obstacles we face across the region. As you are aware, Israel has no war with Islam, nor do we wish for one. Israel is our homeland, the homeland of the Jewish people and the homeland of all non-Jewish citizens as well.”
With regard to the importance of the rehabilitation of Gaza, President Rivlin said: “The rehabilitation of Gaza is both an Israeli and international interest. Gaza could become prosperous and successful if its population was not held hostage by the Hamas terror organization.”
Quartet Representative Tony Blair commented: “I am pleased to meet you for the first time as president. I want to congratulate you on the important work you are doing, and for the strength and clarity you have shown on the issues of concern to us all. Your words have had a great resonance, not only in Israel but outside as well, particularly over the past months that were difficult here."
- Israel marks Memorial Day for the fallen soldiers and victims of terrorism
- President Rivlin and FM Katz host reception for the diplomatic and consular corps in Israel
- 3rd Diplomatic Race to celebrate Israel's special needs community
- PM Netanyahu's remarks at the start of the weekly cabinet meeting
- PM Netanyahu addresses the Christian Media Summit