ISA: "Man arrested confessed to the murder. His goal was to 'trade' the soldier's body for the release of his brother. Investigation is still in progress and more arrests are expected."
The body of Sergeant Tomer Chazan, 20, of Bat Yam, was in Judea and Samaria, his family was notified.
Shin Bet said that following actions taken and intelligence it was turned out that the murderer is a resident of Qalqiliya that worked with the soldier met him and convinced him to come to his home. IDF, Shin Bet and SWAT raided the house and arrested the suspect. During interrogation he confessed that he led the soldier and killed him so that he could bargain for the release of his brother with the soldier's body to his brother, a Tanzim activist imprisoned for committing terrorist attacks.
Shin Bet noted that "the investigation is still in progress. More arrests are expected".
Ephraim Brigade commander, Col. Ran Kahane, said regarding the incident that "during the night, following reports that a soldier is absent, numerous forces at Ephraim Territorial Brigade, along with the defense forces and the police operated to locate the soldier unfortunately we discovered the soldier's body".
- Israel marks Memorial Day for the fallen soldiers and victims of terrorism
- President Rivlin and FM Katz host reception for the diplomatic and consular corps in Israel
- 3rd Diplomatic Race to celebrate Israel's special needs community
- PM Netanyahu's remarks at the start of the weekly cabinet meeting
- PM Netanyahu addresses the Christian Media Summit